of NEW MILFORD
Form of Government: Board of Selectmen
Geographic Location; NW Tip of Region
Current Population: Est.
Median Household Income: $
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Danbury,
CT (22.2 miles , pop. 74,848).
city with pop. 200,000+: Oyster Bay, NY (59.4 miles,
city with pop. 1,000,000+: New York, NY (76.8 miles,
cities: Dover Plains, NY (7.2 miles ), Warren,
CT (8.9 miles ), New Preston, CT (9.0 miles ), Amenia, NY
(10.0 miles ), Sherman, CT (10.1 miles ), Sharon, CT (10.7
miles ), New Milford, CT (10.9 miles ).
Lands: Kent Falls State Park; Lake Waramaug State
Park; Macedonia Brook State Park; Wyantenock State Forest
Lands: Appalachian Trail; St. John's Ledges
New Milford History
MILFORD , Connecticut | from The Connecticut Guide, 1935
Milford, where we cross from Fairfield to Litchfield
County, was a swarm sent out by the parent hive of Milford.
A land company was organized at Milford, which bought
from the Indians and sold rights to take up land. The
first white settlement began in 1707, when John Noble
arrived from Westfield, Mass., with his 8-year old daughter
Sarah. New Milforrd was granted town privileges in 1712.
Roger Sherman lived here during his early manhood. The
town consists of a beautiful hill country, and on the
west the Housatonic has cut a deep valley through the
limestone. Lime making is an important industry, and tobacco
is grown in the river valley.
the town from the south, U. S. 7, which here follows Still
River, makes an attractive drive. The first road to the
west after crossing the line is worth taking for the view
of Candlewood Lake. The village of New Milford, an industrial
and trading center, was built up by the Housatonic R.
R. and the cigar making which flourished after the Civil
War. Present industries consist of tobacco packing, hatters'
fur, and a bleachery and dye works.
older section of the village is built along a narrow Green.
Starting at the lower end, where R. 25 comes in, we pass
on the right the Canfield House, built in 1793. A little
above this is the Town Hall, with a bronze tablet marking
this as the Roger Sherman home site. Sherman, who later
was to become famous as co-author of the Declaration of
Independence and our other great national documents, came
to New Milford in 1743, where he worked as shoemaker,
county surveyor, merchant and lawyer, until he removed
to New Haven in 1761. The Public Library stands at the
end of the next block. Continuing north, we pass the Congregational
Church, built in 1833, with its fine Greek Revival portico
and "Christopber Wren" spire. The W. Taylor
House of 1784, at the end of the street, was built on
good Colonial lines. Facing the Green at the north end
is the Lincoln Bust by Paul Morris, the gift of the late
Edward Marsh. Canterbury School, a Roman Catholic preparatory
school for boys, established in 1915, will be found a
block above this on Aspetuck Ave. An earlier school of
note was the Adelphic Institute. On the west side of the
upper Green, the second building as we go south is the
New Milford Historical Society, with portraits by Ralph
Earle and other interesting exhibits, (open Mon., Tues.,
Fri., and Sat., 2:30-5:00.) Below this is the Senator
Boardman House, another fine Colonial mansion, built about
Milford Town Hall
10 Main Street
New Milford, CT
Town Clerk's office is open
from 8:30 a.m. thru 4:30 p.m.
Monday thru Friday